Lemon Almond Torta

Post image for Lemon Almond Torta

by Chris on March 19, 2012

limone/lemon

Is the weather beautiful in your neck of the woods? I am so excited spring is here a little early. Granted, it’s been in the 80s (27C), and the pollen has begun to rear its ugly head, but the humidity doesn’t seem to be aware of “spring forward”. Woohoo!

As if the weather wasn’t reason enough to be giddy, I was fortunate to get a visit from my mother last weekend for my birthday. What? You don’t remember reading anything about the big day? Right. I actually haven’t celebrated my birthday for years, much like holidays. It’s not a religious decision, just a personal one that isn’t worth eating up post space. But, what I do celebrate every year on my birthday is my mom. Since we don’t live close, I make a point to call and thank her for being my mom. It’s like our own special Mother’s Day.

Last weekend, however, mom flipped the script. “It’s a big day, Christina! It’s not every day my youngest turns ?? years old.”  So, she flew down to visit her youngest.

The visit was the best present I could have received. The second best?

Do you know what this means? After being paralyzed when both of my mixers went to pasture, I received a new 6Qt Kitchen Aid.

I could hardly wait to break in the new machine. The first ingredients added to the shiny new bowl were those for several recipes I tested for an upcoming post-Las Vegas-eloping reception. Immediately thereafter, I made Cathy’s Lemon Almond Torta. Why? It’s The Secret Recipe Club reveal day. Group A was on March 5 and Group B on March 12.  Today is Group C’s reveal day. Our group’s hostess, Angela of Big Bear’s Wife continued her streak on assigning me a wonderful blog, Wives with Knives. Cathy has been around for several years and, as proven throughout her four years of posts, one can’t go wrong trying out any one of her recipes.

Secret Recipe Club

I must be honest about a pretty big problem with Cathy’s blog, though. I couldn’t narrow down my choices with choosing a recipe. Big problem, right? Well, it’s a problem I’d gladly have again. I teetered between her One Bowl Banana Layer Cake and the Almond Joy Bread she saw on Peabody’s Blog. Or, was it the recipe for the Mile High Popovers & Lemony Slice-and-Bakes my teeter tottered? Not able to choose, all the above recipes were printed for the moment I made my final decision.

Then, spring peeked over the fence, Cathy posted her Lemon Almond Torta, and the proverbial wrench foiled my plan. How could I pass up baking up something lemony at this moment in time? So that’s what I did. And, to say it was the right choice was an understatement.

I admit, reading the instructions and seeing that I was to bake the lemon curd on top of the batter caused me to wonder. However, when all was said and done, the Torta showed me who was boss. The combination of lemon and almond was heavenly.

Cathy suggested forgetting about the parchment paper to line the pan because she had a difficult time peeling it off. I disagree. But, that may be because (1) I generously coated the parchment with butter to ensure a good stick for the almond slices, with which I created a bottom crust or (2) I let my torta stand, in an airtight container, overnight. Either way, the paper worked for me.

Thanks for a great recipe! This torta will surely be one of my new go-to recipes.

pam March 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Our weather has been as pretty as this torta!!

Kate March 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Even if you don’t celebrate – Happy Belated Birthday!

Eliot March 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I don’t know what excites me more—this wonderful SRC post and torta or that beautiful new mixer! Congrats!

veronica gantley March 19, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Your pictures look amazing. You cant go wrong with a torta. You picked a great one for SRC.

DessertForTwo March 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Happy Birthday, beautiful Christina! :)

What a great birthday gift! I’m so happy for you :)

Kate March 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Isn’t Cathy’s blog fabulous? I have been looking at this recipe for a few weeks….you have me convinced that it is a “must do!” Great SRC choice!

Erin @ Making Memories March 19, 2012 at 3:40 PM

What a fantastic choice! Cathy’s blog is amazing with all the delicious recipes! (I should know, I’m her daughter and taste tester of many of them!) Your pictures are amazing! And happy birthday!

Avanika {yumsilicious Bakes} March 19, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Happy Happy Birthday!! That’s a great gift :)

The torte looks amazing, I love puckery lemon desserts.

Jo March 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I am going to be making some lemon curd soon, I’ve got oodles of lemons coming off our tree. i think I know where some of the lemon curd will be going! This looks fantastic!

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes March 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM

So great that you got a new KA! The torta looks like a must try.

misschels March 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Lemon and almond compliment each other perfectly! You dish looks delectable!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy March 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM

What a great way to break it in! This look incredible!

Teri @ The freshman cook March 19, 2012 at 10:47 PM

What a beautiful tart! It looks delicious!

Chris March 19, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Thanks everyone! I was very pleased with this one. Instead of doing what I always do with my baking (give it to friends), I kept this one for myself! :)

Jennifer | Mother Thyme March 19, 2012 at 11:33 PM

The weather has been just beautiful here in New York. Feels more like May instead of March. Perfect to enjoy this lovely weather and this beautiful dessert. I am such a lover of lemon desserts and this one looks fabulous. Excellent choice for SRC!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen March 20, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Love lemon curd & this torte looks fantastic! What a great surprise from your mom!

Chris and Amy March 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Yummy yum yum. Love lemon desserts, and this looks simply beautiful!

Cathy at Wives with Knives March 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Wow, your new mixer is a thing of beauty! I’ve had my KA for over 30 years and I now know what I’ll be selecting when mine konks out. Your torta is beautiful and I’m happy you enjoyed the recipe. Many thanks for your nice comments.

chellie March 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I’m with Eliot, not sure if the food or the mixer is more exciting. 😀 I have a kitchenaid, but that shiny new one…yum! It all looks amazing. Glad to be in Group C with you.

Liz March 20, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Oh,you got a wonderful blog….and what a fabulous dessert you created. So fun being in Group C with you! And I’m so happy you got to see your mom AND get a new mixer for your birthday…sounds like a perfect way to celebrate :)

Stephanie March 24, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Stumbled onto your blog via the blog hop and just wanted to show you some blog luv! def enjoyed this post :) new follower!

Lisa~~ March 25, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Happy belated birthday. I sure hope that our pollen count gets below 1000 one day soon but it’s better now than the 9000 day as that was a killer. Your torta looks amazing and anything lemon always gets my attention.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my Group ‘A’ SRC entry: Broiled Sushi.

Lisa~~