Sweet Potato Doughnuts with Marshmallow Glaze

Post image for Sweet Potato Doughnuts with Marshmallow Glaze

by Chris on November 19, 2011

Patata Dolce/Sweet Potato

Excited to have dinner with Tami, Broderick, Chris and Karen last week, Atlanta’s rush hour traffic almost thwarted a timely arrival. Despite the delay and my colorful language that spewed from my mouth while sitting in the Parking Lot on GA 400, I did manage to pass the time with delicious thoughts of food. Specifically, I made lists of what I wanted to make, bake and eat in the coming weeks.  Earlier in the day, I had stumbled upon Josie’s Sweet Potato Casserole Bars, an adaptation of Scarletta’s dessert, so those were on the top of my list.  I also penciled in pumpkin donuts, a recipe I have been playing with in my brain for while.  Then, my mind jumped, combining my thoughts of bars and donuts, to sweet potato casserole donuts.  Brilliant concept, right? I thought so, but I also figured out that I couldn’t be the first who had this stoke of genius.  Sure enough, many others had the same great idea. So, I decided to trust someone else and not “play until I got it right”. Who better to turn to than Paula Deen?  Her recipe included maple icing, but I substituted it with a simple marshmallow glaze.

This glaze, by the way, can be used on ice cream, too. That’s right! On ice cream.

Have you even ordered an ice cream sundae with marshmallow topping and it arrives with an ooey, gooey river of marshmallowey goodness?  Marshmallow cream and boiling water.  That’s it!  How do I know?  I was a waitress for a year or so when I was in high school. Chadwick’s Ice Cream and Fine Foods (long-since out of business), where all sundaes had to include at least 6-inches of whipped cream, also had marshmallow cream sauce as an ice cream topping option.  Making the “sauce” was on my pre-shift prep list every time I was scheduled. I made it a little thicker here, for the donuts, than I remembered having to for the job.  But either way, mmm…mmm good!

DessertForTwo November 19, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Yum!
I’m pretty sure I could bathe in marshmallow fluff! :)

pam November 19, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Oh wow, those sound fantastic!

Kate November 20, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Candied yams are my favorite part of Thanksgiving. In doughnut form? Even more dangerous!

Barbara | Creative Culinary November 20, 2011 at 1:04 PM

You are killing me…so decadent. I think I might have to swish my mini torch over those to get some of that ‘burnt’ marshmallow taste I so love but these are fabulous. My daughter would go totally bonkers; she is the once who insists on the sweet potatoes with toasted marshmallows on top every year for Thanksgiving.

Laura @ GotChocolate November 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Such an interesting combination of ingredients. I love the marshmallow glaze idea too. YUM!!!

Bren November 21, 2011 at 12:08 PM

i gained every pound i’ve lost just reading and looking at these pictures! reeeeeediculous! make me some!! i thought of you yesterday while I was Starbux and saw the bliss bars… nothing compares! yours were the bomb…. nice job on these, girl! but, that’s nothing new.

Marge November 22, 2011 at 6:20 AM

Okay, you posted this four days ago and I am STILL thinking about them… When I was a kid, everyone else got chocolate sauce and I got wet walnuts with Marshmallow sauce. And here’s the kicker– i didn’t (and still don’t) particularly like the ice cream– i got it for the topping.
AND, to make it even more of a have-to-have: I LOVE sweet potato muffins and cake as long as they don’t have pumpkin pie spices. So this hit the lottery for me. I guess I’m going to just have to give in and make them. I hope you will appreciate that I’m thinking about making them for my Hanukkah party, where they will take the place of traditional Doughnuts.
Thanks, Chris!