Fig Chutney

Post image for Fig Chutney

by Chris on November 6, 2011

Fico/fig

This week is special for plant-based ingredients and the recipes that adore them. Haalo is hosting the 6th birthday edition of Weekend Herb Blogging. Six years! Where does the time go? Amazing..A simple routine of Kalyn allowing us a peek at her garden turned into a weekly gathering of cooks everywhere, paying homage to herbs and vegetables.

In honor of this momentous occasion, I am sharing a recipe that includes one of my most favorite ingredients, figs. I have some posts that include figs, mostly fresh. They’re a fruit I adore and eat as them much as I can. The issue, as far as blogging/posting is concerned, is that figs don’t last long enough to make it into a dish. (The same can be said about my love for dates.) It’s a good thing figs are a good source of calcium, fiber and potassium; I can justify my obsession.

Excited when I managed to put something together last week, it’s autumn and dried figs are seen all around now because of holiday-specific displays. Chutney was calling begging me to make a batch.

Chutney, a versatile spread, and adds to whatever it is paired with, as a condiment on sandwich, served as an accompaniment on a cheeseboard, or alongside a meat, like pork. Most chutneys have similar ingredients, a fruit, sugar, onion, and vinegar/acid. While the combination balances one another, I chose to eliminate the the sugar here.

Enjoy!

Lisa~~ November 6, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Figs are a fave here too and what a great little app this chutney makes.

Haalo November 6, 2011 at 5:34 PM

be still my heart – I love love love figs. Fantastic dish!

lo November 6, 2011 at 7:13 PM

I’m growing to be such a huge fan of chutneys. They truly add a special element to so many dishes — and they’re easy to make! My latest love is a rosemary dried cherry chutney that I love to pair with goat cheese for appetizers.

Since I’m a HUGE fan of the humble fig, this would be right up my alley.

Victoria Challalncin November 7, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Great recipe! Great blog! I am so happy to have discovered it via WHB.

Barbara | Creative Culinary November 7, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Yay…love a recipe for dried figs. We don’t see a lot of fresh figs when they come into season so I resort to carry a supply of dried ones. Wondering what else you’ve got on that cracker? Cream cheese? Looks lovely!

Kate November 7, 2011 at 8:34 PM

I didn’t realize figs were so healthy, now I feel better also!

Chris November 7, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Thanks Lisa! It is a tasty treat, for sure!
AW, Thanks Haalo! This would go great with your asparagus.
I agree, lo! Chutneys are the unsung hero a lot of the time!
Thanks for visiting Victoria! Glad you like what you see. :)
I meant to add a cook’s note about that, Barbara! The chutney is on mascarpone. It doesn’t take away from the flavor. I tried it with Goat, but the tang was toooo much!
Kate, they are! Love when I can find fresh figs.

Marge November 9, 2011 at 12:50 PM

This looks like heaven to me. I love all things fig– and especially when over any kind of cheese. Or under. Or in the same room as…
Thanks for the great recipe!

eileen October 10, 2012 at 2:31 PM

while on holiday in the canaries we stayed in a Rui Hotel we had sliced pork with a fig chutney it was delicious i think it may have had apple or pear but not sure .
any one can help me with whatever ingredients may have been used