Vietnamese Shrimp Pho

Post image for Vietnamese Shrimp Pho

by Chris on October 16, 2011

spezie/spices

It was only a few months ago that I first tried Pho. I was having dinner with Tami, at a little Vietnamese restaurant by her house. I have heard about Pho, seen the restaurants pop up over the years, but never indulged. Whoa, why didn’t someone intervene!?  No one truly explained what I was missing. It was love at first taste; the star anise and cloves roped me in full force. Since then, I have been a regular consumer in all aspects of the word.

Everytime I sit down to enjoy Pho, I wonder why I haven’t made it for myself? I remember Tami’s post, as well as (fellow Georgian) Lynne’s post when she prepared Pho for the Daring Cook’s Challenge. Both of their soups were stunning (and bookmarked) so I put my foot down this weekend.  Instead of doing a Soba drive-by, I stirred up a batch of Lynne’s Pho. Now, I also have my lunch for a couple of days (if it lasts that long). Woot!

With the many herbs and spices in this one soup, it is a perfect dish for Weekend Herb Blogging.  This week’s host is the ever-so-stunning Cinzia from Cindystar, who is pulling double duty by compiling both the  English and Italian WHB editions. Be sure to check them out tomorrow!

Other Pho-nomenal Finds:

Steamy Kitchen: Vietnamese Pho – Beef Noodle Soup
Viet World Kitchen: Chicken Pho Noodle Soup
LeLuu: Beef Pho
PhamFatale: Pho Ga (Chicken Noodle Soup)
Niche: Cheat’s Pho

{ 6 comments }

JulieD October 16, 2011 at 5:31 PM

So glad you finally tried what I think is the ultimate comfort food…my favorite soup!! Grew up with my mom making the best! Yours looks so good!

DessertForTwo October 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM

I absolutely love Pho!
Your version looks easy & delicious! I can’t wait to try it :)

pam October 16, 2011 at 7:24 PM

I love pho. I think I could exist on the broth alone.

cinzia October 17, 2011 at 3:08 AM

well, never ever had the chance to try Vietnamese food, but honestly I could hardly say we can have such a choice of restaurants in Italy, maybe only big cities like Milan, Rome, etc.
but I live in the countriside :-) … maybe on my next trip to London or Paris it would be easier to enjoy it! :-)
anyway, this Pho (one more thing learned from whb!) is so healthy good-looking, I am virtually self-inviting myself at your table for lunch! :-)
thanks so much for participating, will e-mail you when the recap is on-line! :-)
have a nice week!

Kate October 17, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Everyone in my family love Pho, but for some reason I just don’t. Which is weird because I love other Vietnamese food and I love soup!

Cassie l Bake Your Day October 17, 2011 at 10:32 AM

I don’t think I’ve ever had Pho but judging by the ingredients, I would love it! Your photos are beautiful, I could eat that shrimp off of my screen!

Comments on this entry are closed.