Quinoa Fruit and Nut Bar

Post image for Quinoa Fruit and Nut Bar

by Chris on September 21, 2011

alimento sano/healthy food

I am completely intrigued and enamored by gluten-free flours and foods. As I read more and increase culinary experimentation, some preferences have formed in my brain. I am definitely a huge fan of nut and rice flours. But, we all know quinoa has been a long time favorite of mine.

Even with quinoa being a staple in my home, it wasn’t until now that I worked with quinoa flakes.  When I saw them in the same vicinity as the gluten free flours, and noticed how similar the flakes were to oatmeal, grabbing a container was a no brainer. So, the same weekend I made a colleague Paleo Bread, I tried my hand at baking with quinoa flakes.

This bar “cookie” I made was tasty, but (again) I like quinoa and have “trained” my palate to give new flavors a try.  Some non-adventurous eaters may take a moment. But,  its subtle sweetness will satisfy hunger in a healthy, fulfilling way.

Have you used quinoa flakes?  How so?  Do tell.

Quinoa Fruit and Nut Bar

from The Quinoa Cookbook

1 cup mixed dried fruit (I used dried blueberries)
Juice from one large orange (I used 3 Tbsp. OJ)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 Tbsp. butter
3 cups quinoa flakes*
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup brown sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten

Soak the dried fruit in the orange juice and vanilla for one hour.

Preheat oven to 325° F. Line a 9X13 pan.  Spray with canola spray.

Combine the flakes, walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; set aside.  Melt butter, then add to the quinoa flake mixture.  Stir to coat completely; set aside.

Add eggs into the fruit; mix well. Pour into the quinoa and stir to combine. Transfer to the prepared pan, press in an even layer, and cook for 15 – 20 minutes, or until the bars begin to turn golden brown. Do not overcook.

Remove from oven and score into squares. Cool completely on a wire rack.

*can be substituted with rolled oats, but moisture levels may need to be adjusted.

pam September 21, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I’ve never tried quinoa flakes (didn’t even know they made them)!

Kate September 21, 2011 at 12:06 PM

I’ll have to look for quinoa flakes. I haven’t seen them.

ZAS September 21, 2011 at 1:20 PM

While I did not make these, I ate them created straight from the source!! They are quite enjoyable and add variety to my gluten free diet. I do not like extremely sugary or sweet items so this fits the bill. Highly recommended! I did enjoy the Paleo bread as well with everything from cheese and Salami, to butter and jam. Both keep very well and can be enjoyed for a while. Thanks melecotte.com.

Marge (A Sweet and Savory Life) September 22, 2011 at 7:33 AM

I havent played with the flakes yet, but certainly will now. Meanwhile, can you pass me a piece of that bar? Looks like just the right thing to have before my morning run…

Bev September 27, 2011 at 11:29 PM

I’m looking for a bar recipe with quinoa for my husband. He can’t have the butter, sugar, eggs or cinnamon : ( So it makes it more difficult to find a recipe. Could I use flaxmeal for the egg, and coconut oil for butter , maybe agave or some molasses for sugar. He has prostate cancer and is treating it with a natural-pathic diet. Sugars are a NO NO, so is animal protein, hence the egg or butter. Has read that cinnamon is bad for the prostate.
What would you recommend as substitutions?

Chris September 28, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Bev, I am sorry to hear about your husband’s health! I hope things turn for the positive soon. Cinnamon can be replaced with nutmeg or allspice. Or, it can be left out. Maybe add vanilla?