Pumpkin Pie Pancakes

Post image for Pumpkin Pie Pancakes

by Chris on September 26, 2011

torta di zucca / pumpkin pie

Autumn has officially arrived.  And, regardless of the warm temperatures that refuse to go down without a fight, the fact remains.  Summer ’11 is over.  Retail stores are displaying their fall wares,  florists are featuring warm arrangements and the markets are stocking shelves with cabbages, squash and hearty greens.

Secret Recipe Club

When perusing my Secret Recipe Club-assigned site for the month, Feels Like Home, I wanted to try something seasonally appropriate.

Okay, wait…that’s not true.

When we were first given our assignments, it was the end of August, the weather was still stifling, and fall wasn’t even on my radar. Looking through Tara’s vast assortment of archives, I contemplated several recipes at that time.  While everything looked delicious, my dietary intolerances pushed me away from her inviting chicken and beef dishes. But, her Garlic Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan Cheese, Quick and Easy Black Bean Burritos, and Candy Cane Swirl Cheesecake were quickly bookmarked for possible targets and/or future use.

Then, I clicked on her Baked Pineapple; it intrigued me. I love to grill it, so I read on. I turned out that the recipe calls for canned pineapple, and because I only use canned in hummingbird cupcakes or cakes, I tried the recipe with fresh pineapple first.  Epic fail. For attempt #2, I used canned.  The end result was not pretty either (literally…its ugly self didn’t look anything like Tara’s version),  so I bailed on the dish.

Weeks passed and weather became crisp (for a day or two) before I remembered Tara’s Pumpkin Pie Pancakes. Nothing says Fall better than pumpkin, right? And, believe it or not, with all the pancakes I have made over the years, pumpkin was never one of them.

I only changed the recipe slightly by substituting the chocolate chips, since I am allergic. Otherwise, all was a-go as Tara explained. In a word?  Delicious! Thanks Tara!

Other Mele Cotte Pancakes

Past SRC Reveals

August – Asian Slaw from The World in my Kitchen
July –Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes (Gluten Free) from La Phemme Phoodie

pam September 26, 2011 at 7:40 AM

I think these are going to be on the list for one of my mornings during fall break :0

chelsy e. September 26, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Cannot wait to try these! They look absolutely delish! So ready for fall!

Rosa September 26, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Oh, what droolworthy pancakes! Very autumnal tasting. Just irresistible.

Cheers,

Rosa

Danielle September 26, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Just looking at that delicious stack of yumminess makes my mouth water! Can’t wait to try this on some weekend morning.

Kate September 26, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Because of the season I already have pumpkin pancakes on the menu for breakfast this weekend!

Rhonda September 26, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Hooray for pumpkin recipes. I’m not ready for cold weather but I am ready for fall food! I’m kinda glad your first attempt didn’t work out so I could score this pancake recipe.

Kita September 26, 2011 at 8:12 PM

What an awesome post for SRC and prefect for this time of year. It is neat to see how much everyone’s cooking has changed since we got our assignment!

Eliot September 26, 2011 at 8:38 PM

So, how many pumpkin recipes are in this month’s club posts? I think this one makes 5-6. I love fall so we can celebrate the pumpkin with so many awesome recipes. Great SRC post.

Georgie September 26, 2011 at 10:08 PM

I wonder if the pineapples would have made a nice topping for these. It’s nice being a part of SRC and meeting so may great bloggers. I look forward to making some of your recipes.

marla September 27, 2011 at 1:18 AM

These pancakes are a true celebration of fall….we will pretend the weather is cooler. Here are my tarts from group C – http://su.pr/2rtACr

veronica gantley September 27, 2011 at 6:53 AM

I may have to make these pancakes on my day off. I think they would be great on Thanksgiving morning. What a great recipe you picked for SRC. Thanks for sharing with us.

Marge at A Sweet and Savory Life September 27, 2011 at 8:07 AM

While I am not allergic to chocolate chips, I have to say I like the idea of these better without the chocolate. Okay, wait: what I mean is I love the idea of these and wish I had a nice warm stack with butter slithering down the sides the way it is in this mouthwatering picture.

Angie @ Bigbearswife September 27, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Pumpkin Pumpkin everywhere! I’m so glad Fall is there! These looks really really good! Glad to be in Group C with you!

Chris September 28, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Thanks everyone! Pumpkin = love! I can’t wait to have a moment to go through everyone’s post.

Concetta October 1, 2011 at 11:59 AM

So decadent! Thank you for sharing!
Concetta

Chris October 3, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Thanks for your kind words, Concetta!

Nicole B November 3, 2013 at 7:34 AM

I made these pancakes this morning and they were fabulous! Perfect in appearance, texture and taste. Will definitely add these to my go to file! Thanks!