Summer Squash Casserole

Post image for Summer Squash Casserole

by Chris on August 7, 2011

zucchini/squash

Oh… the garden! The lovely horticultural garden I have mentioned time and time again. As I prepare for the school year, I realize my little escape won’t be there when I am having “a day”.  While a community garden is in the works in my new school, the plush, established and flourishing planter’s boxes I adored will no longer be a stone throw’s away from my office.

In memory of my beloved sanctuary,  today’s Yellow Squash casserole is the last of my summer’s vegetable harvest.  Casserole pop up every now and then, but I typically don’t make them.  First, they can easily tip the calorie scale.  Second, I am one person, except when the teen is with me.  Do you know how hard it is making a casserole for one? Plus, I am not a big left overs girl.

Nonetheless, I made a larger-than-necessary meal here in a effort to use the majority of my summer squash.  Not to worry though. If I end up consuming this casserole all by myself the next few days, it is a little different from the typical belly-busting squash casserole. There isn’t any mayonnaise, sour cream, or cream of anything.  I did leave in the butter though, but it’s only ¼ cup. That’s a relatively smaller amount than if I Paula Deen‘d it, right? No too, too bad.

How do you make your squash casserole?

Other (horticultural)garden fresh recipes

pam August 7, 2011 at 7:51 AM

Love this lightened up casserole!

merry jennifer August 7, 2011 at 9:06 AM

My mom makes a squash casserole every Thanksgiving, and it’s such a treat. I’m not sure why we wait until then to make one – I love it, and squash are so abundant right now. Your recipe looks like a great one, Chris!

Melissa @ Dash of East August 7, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Yum! Casserole’s are a lovely comfort food for me. And I love that you lightened this up, it looks so delicious. If you need help finishing it off, I’ll be happy to offer my services :D

Kate August 8, 2011 at 1:01 AM

This casserole certainly looks like it won’t be tipping any scales.

Chris August 8, 2011 at 9:24 PM

thanks Pam!
I know why you mean, MJ! Foods definitely have emotional/celebratory ties to them. What do I only eat Turkey in November?
Melissa, I will give you a ring, for sure!
Thanks Kate! Not a whole lot of dunking, luckily. :)

Cassie April 15, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Any suggestions for a substitute for cheese?

Chris April 16, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Cassie,
That’s a great question. I have never tried making this without cheese, so I am not sure how they will work, maybe try vegan cheeses? Tofu might work. I have also used cottage cheese. Or, pureed squash (like butternut). Maybe a thick yogurt? Someone mentioned “Chreese” to me, as well. http://www.edwardandsons.com

If you try a cheese substitute, let me know how it works! Thanks!