Raspberry Crumb Bars

Post image for Raspberry Crumb Bars

by Chris on June 7, 2011

lampone/raspberry

Summer is sizzling here in Atlanta.  Despite scorching temperatures, summer is my favorite eating season. The steamy heat evaporates my cravings for heavy foods that cause me to feel weighed down.  However, the fruits and vegetables speak to me with the low, seductive Barry White tone that leaves me wanting. I can’t help myself. If I was to equate my fresh produce infatuation with an analogy, it would look something like Chris: summer produce :: bees: honey.

Don’t believe me? If a camera journaled my last several weeks, evidence would show me eating fruit like it’s going out of style.  Mangoes, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, no bells or whistles, just as that are. While I do make an effort omit  fruit (or carbs) after 2:00PM,  one might consider what happens in the morning as gluttony.  My problem is I tend to buy like I am a family of ten, instead of a household of one. Yikes! Then, I end up in scramble mode because of the over abundance of produce in my ‘fridge.  I end up having to eat up the fruit until I am ill, or try to make a dish that includes large quantities of certain items.  Case in point?  The Blueberry Mango Soup. Three cups of blueberries…that’s a lot of berries.

This past weekend wasn’t any different that the above mentioned  similar scenario.  In addition to the insane amount of the apricots, strawberries, and Asian pears waiting patiently for their inevitable fate, I had 4 cups of fresh raspberries I feared would go bad before I had a chance to use/eat them.  Determined to beat the “fuzz” to the punch, I decided to make Raspberry Crumb Bars I saw in Taste of Home for my neighbors.  Jen and Marcus are two of the greatest people I have had the pleasure of knowing; they have both been so helpful and supportive.  So, when I can do something for them, like bring them goodies, it is the least I could do.

After baked, sliced, and packaged, I was pleased with the raspberry bites’ brightness and allure. But, what would Jen and Marcus think? Saturday evening, after the drop off,  Jen text me a thumbs up.  When I saw Marcus at the gym on Sunday?  He told be they bars were all gone.  Ha!  Love that!

What do you love about summer?  What are you favorite dishes to make and share?

Other Bars You May Enjoy:

Brandy’s Baking:  Blackberry Bars
Louanne’s Kitchen: Strawberry Bars
Back to the Cutting Board: Berry-Orange Fruity Oaty Bars
Italian Food Forever:  Strawberry Crumb Top Breakfast Cake
Brown Eyed Baker: Raspberry Streusel Bars
Once Upon a Plate: Double Raspberry Streusel Bars
Chubby Chef:  Raspberry Squares

{ 9 comments }

Kate June 7, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I feel like it’s raspberry week. I’m eating and seeing them everywhere.

brandi June 7, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I can’t wait for raspberries to get here – it’s almost time for them in VA! :) These look great.

Barbara | Creative Culinary June 7, 2011 at 1:29 PM

These look wonderful and easy and I have raspberries I need to use. Not four cups worth but half a batch works for me!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme June 7, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I had to laugh along with you about purchasing too much produce. I grew up in a family of five so I learned to cook for five people. I never “unlearned” that so now I still buy as though there were five of us at home. We are only two so you can imagine what my pantry looks like at times. Add to that the lure of fresh fruit at this time of year.

Next time I have too many berries I know exactly what I’m going to do with them. Your crumb bars!

Chris June 7, 2011 at 10:30 PM

I feel the same way about strawberries, Kate! :)

Thanks Brandi! Hopefully, they’ll arrive soon!

Barbara, a ½ batch totally works. Had I not gotten sucked in by Costco, I probably would have done a ½ batch, too. Lol, darn bulk stores….

It’s hard buying for 1 or 2! I am glad it’s not just me, Lana. I grew up in a large family, too, so now I guess I realize where I get my addiction from. :)

Maris (In Good Taste) June 8, 2011 at 4:49 AM

These are incredibly gorgeous! I want ot reach into the photo and grab that topping!

Rosa June 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM

What a lovely bars! I am a sucker for raspberries. I prefer them to strawberries…

Cheers,

Rosa

Chelsey June 8, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Love your blog – I’ve been on here for a while now today!
This crumble looks fantastic! My family usually prefers I make rhubarb crumbles, but I personally love using raspberries (however, I typically use frozen). I might just have to make this one for myself this week :)

Take care,
–Chelsey

melissa@IWasBornToCook June 8, 2011 at 4:34 PM

These are gorgeous. I just made another version a few weeks ago. Delicious!

Comments on this entry are closed.