Homemade Twix Bars Recipe

Post image for Homemade Twix Bars Recipe

by Chris on June 12, 2011

caramellato/caramel

Every once in a while, I end up with something in the kitchen that causes me want to hoot and holler. Case in point?  Twix Bars.  Homemade Twix bars.  You see, while reading Amanda’s To Do ListLiz’s Twix Bars struck a chord with me  on a couple of levels.

First, the post referenced candy. I am a candy-aholic.  Yup.  Addicted.  As healthy as I eat, with my farro, legumes and fish, I cancel it all out with candy.  There.  I admitted my Achilles heel.  I am a sucker for tart candy like Lemonheads, Sour Patch Kids and Sprees, as well as sugary bites, like Necos, Boston Baked Beans, and  Good n Plenty. Oddly, I am really not a chocolate girl, despite baking with it all the time. Being allergic to chocolate might have something to do with my aversion. Even so, I do find myself sneaking a Twix every now and again.  There is something about the gooey caramel and chocolate colliding with the cookie inside that makes me swoon.  So, you can imagine my glee when I saw Amanda’s link to Liz’s homemade version.

The second chord that strummed for me was its eerie déjà vu-like familiarity/presence as I ogled at the picture on my screen.   After pondering for a while, then (virtually) flipping through my bookmarks, low and behold I found the Twix Bars.  Turns out, I bookmarked Liz’s Twix Bars long ago.  Sadly, the link became a needle in the haystack of “favorites”, another “must try” recipe abandoned. Until now.

I hopped in the kitchen this week, borrowed the idea, and played.  What better way to amuse myself than with shortbread, caramel, and my new colossal bag of Scharffen Berger Bittersweet chocolate? During my playtime, I decided to travel a different route with the bar’s caramel.  Why?  Lack of brown sugar.  Then, I was going to remedy that issue with castor sugar and molasses.  No molasses.  Really? What ingredient-eating monster invaded my cabinets? Grrr. So, all I had left in my bag of tricks was Dark Corn Syrup.  The end result is the recipe below…and it works.  It works well.

Happily , I shared my twix bars with Tami, Erin, Patti, Lee, and Broderick.  They seemed to like the bars as much as I did.  That’s a good thing! I have a feeling this is going to me my new go-to sweet when I need to whip up something.  They’re super simple and irresistible.

Other Twix recipes you might enjoy:

Not without Salt
Foodie with Family
One Bite at a Time
Back to the Cutting Board
Cooking Books
Guilty Kitchen

Liz@HoosierHomemade June 12, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I love the changes you made to the recipe. I have had several readers ask what they could use instead of the club crackers. Apparently they don’t sell those crackers in Canada.
Thanks so much for the mention! I’m honored that you like them!!
~Liz

Kate June 12, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I’m not a chocoholic or a candyholic, but I admit these look really good.

Lynn June 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM

OMG. These look fabulous! And I’ve enjoyed reading the rave reviews from those that sampled them yesterday. Sorry to miss out of the delicious festivities…

Maris (In Good Taste) June 13, 2011 at 4:47 AM

These are so far superior to any Twix bar I have ever seen! I could get addicted to these!

DessertForTwo June 13, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Candy does me in, too! I’ll eat a delicious healthy lunch and then eat candy :( But homemade candy is healthy, right? ;)

brandi June 13, 2011 at 10:31 AM

oh goodness – those look so good!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme June 13, 2011 at 10:48 AM

My daughter is a Twix fanatic! They’ve been her favorite for as long as I can remember. So guess what I’m making for her? That’s right – this recipe!

Janet June 13, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Wow! I’m not a candy bar person at all, but these are grabbing me through the screen, demanding to be made and devoured! What have you done to me??! LOL ;-)

Maria June 13, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Wow, these look divine! SO much better than the store bought candy bar.

Chris June 13, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Thanks Liz! I can’t wait to see what more I can borrow from you! :)

Thanks Kate. That’s huge!

Hey Lynn! So bummed we missed you at Tami’s . Next time!

Thanks Maris! You’re too kind.

Christina, I am glad I am not the only one! Maybe its the name. lol

Thanks Brandi!

Lana, your daughter and I would get along great! If you make them, let me know what you think.

Thank you Janet! :)

Thanks Maria!

Janet June 14, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Twix is my very favorite candy bar so I’m definitely adding this one to my recipe box!One question though, castor sugar?I’ve never heard of it

Lisa June 14, 2011 at 1:18 PM

These look awesome! But I can’t have them because I’m gluten free. Can you give me any suggestions on how to convert this to a gluten free recipe? Thanks!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen June 14, 2011 at 11:15 PM

That thick layer of caramel is making me swoon!

Chris June 15, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Thanks Janet! Castor another way of saying fine sugar. I simply place it in the food processor to chop up. Thanks for bringing the question forward. I edited the post accordingly. :)

Thanks Lisa! Unfortunately, I am not well versed in GF items. But, I am thinking there is a rice flour shortbread recipe out there somewhere. Or, Bobs Red Mill has a shortbread mix, too.

Sylvie, thank you! It is swoonworthy for sure. ;)

Meghan June 16, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Absolutely delightful … I am hoping that I have enough self control to not eat the whole pan myself!

Bren June 18, 2011 at 7:07 PM

i can’t even comment b/c i didn’t get not even a slither. smh.

Katie June 28, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I love Twix bars! They’re one of my favorite candies. Now if you make Snickers bars, I’m REALLY in trouble. :)

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes July 16, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Oh my! They look fabulous beyond words!

Alyssa August 24, 2011 at 12:29 PM

So.. I am preparation to make these now, just one question. Whenever I make something with a hard top layer of chocolate, I ruin the whole thing when I try to cut through it..Any suggestions for this recipe?

Chris August 24, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Alyssa, good question. I would make sure the bars are at room temperature. Then, there are a couple of ways I have found works: (1) flavorless dental floss – which also works for cheesecake. (2) a sharp knife: score the chocolate and gently/carefully “saw” through the chocolate until you get to a point to cut through.

Also, the key is to remove the uncut bars from the pan. I always line my pans so that I can cut without worry the sides of the pan will get in the way. :) Hope this helps!

Desi July 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Hi there! I had you for this month’s SRC and made these wonderful twix bars! Loved everything about em. Thanks for this amazing recipe. Can’t wait to munch on some of them after lunch today. It was so fun “stalking” you this month :)

HUGS & COOKIES XOXO August 20, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I WAS THE LUCKY ONE TO HAVE YOUR BLOG THIS MONTH!!! THIS WAS AN AWESOME RECIPE!!! THANK U !!!!!!

Emily December 22, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Hi! I’m going to be making this recipe on Sunday and I have a question regarding the shortbread.

Is the butter supposed to be room temperature?

Thanks, Emily