Cooking to Combat Cancer (Round Up)

Post image for Cooking to Combat Cancer (Round Up)

by Chris on May 3, 2011

lottato/struggle

This past Friday marked the day, ten years ago, I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer.  It was, in fact, on an actual Friday. Weird, huh? Three days later, I was in surgery. Fortunately, I have been cancer-free for five years.  I have said it before, and won’t rehash things, but the whole experience was life changing.  It was not only life changing with how I looked at myself, but how I look at others, their reactions, etc…good, bad, or indifferent. .  Blessed, I was one of the lucky ones.  So, Cooking to Combat Cancer been a special event to me.

Although this year included the least amount of participants as compared to other years, I appreciate the thoughts and efforts of each person. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

(Winos & Foodies)  brings Sopa de Ajo to the round up.

Melissa (Miel et Lait) made Gobi Aloo

Sharona (Bird Food) offers Avocado and Grapefruit Salad over Arugula

My contributions:

Fish Tacos (deconstructed)

Carrot Soup

Because I wanted to promote the importance of fresh ingredients and their relationship to cancer-fighting attributes, I am extending the list. The posts below, which include recipes with cancer-fighting foods, are ones I have some across over recent months as I read through my Google Reader.

Now, I know many of you whip up dishes in your kitchen that include cancer-fighting foods.  If so, be sure to include a link in your comments below.  Even though this round up didn’t produce as many posts as I would have hoped, there isn’t any reason why we can’t keep an ongoing listing.  Right?

Cabbage

Past Cooking to Combat Cancer Round Ups

2010 Round Up
2009 Round Up
2008 Round Up
2007 Round Up

marla May 3, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Thanks for sharing your story of health with us. Acknowledging that food has such an impact on our health is essential. Great recipe round-up, thanks for including my Blueberry Cake. xo

DessertForTwo May 3, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Thanks for sharing your story, I had no idea you were a cancer survivor. I had a feeling you were tough enough to beat cancer, considering your day job :)

I agree with you 100%: food is vitamins. The only ‘diet’ I follow is to make sure I eat 5 servings of vegetables a day. Fruit is my dessert :)

Great recipe round-up!

Kate May 3, 2011 at 12:21 PM

That grapefruit salad looks amazing!

Bren May 3, 2011 at 12:25 PM

i love that garlic soup. yum since i’m addicted to all things garlic. and super congrats on being cancer-free for 5 years. Here’s to the rest of your life being healthy!

merry jennifer May 3, 2011 at 8:32 PM

A great post, Chris. Cancer is something that I’m exposed to daily – in a very different way than you were, of course – and questions about what to eat come up ALL THE TIME. I love your round-up, and I’m very thankful to you for including the chickpea salad recipe. Congrats on being cancer-free! Such a thing to celebrate.

Mele Cotte May 3, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Thanks for a delicious recipe to include in the round up, Marla!

Thanks Christina! I don’t do well with vitamin (pills), so I need to get those vitamins in naturally, every way I can. :)

Thanks Kate!

Thanks Bren. Garlic Soup is yum! (Just not on a date…unless he eats it too)

Thanks Merry Jennifer…for what you do every day. We, the cancer survivors, couldn’t be here with out you. :)

Miel et Lait May 4, 2011 at 12:59 AM

I had no idea “Cooking to Combat Cancer” was inspired by your own experience with the disease! Congrats on five healthy years, prayers for many more to come!

The “Sopa de Ajo” looks DIVINE!

sweetlife May 4, 2011 at 3:51 AM

great round up, love all the dishes..the sopa de ajo looka amazing, five healthy years..congrats!! truly inspiring

sweetlife

barbara May 5, 2011 at 7:09 PM

I get such a thrill when I hear a friend say “I’m now cancer free”. Well done Chris. I’ve been living with cancer for 7 years now. Discussing things with my oncologist recently he said ” you are doing really well. Many people with your cancer only last around 9 months, max 2 years”. So I guess I’m lucky.

Katie May 6, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Darn! I missed it… so sorry! I love this event – and think it’s so important to make people aware. I’m a little crazy with lots of family coming for a reunion…. still… Sorry I didn’t contribute.

Jeanette June 14, 2011 at 7:11 AM

Hi, I just came upon your site and this wonderful event. Wish I knew about it as I would have loved to join in. I have a special interest in cooking for people with cancer and I applaud you trying to raise awareness on the link between diet and cancer.