Blueberry Mango Soup

Post image for Blueberry Mango Soup

by Chris on May 22, 2011

mirtilli/blueberries

Today is Minimalist Monday.

The post was written. The pictures were edited. I hit save and a white screen appeared, the hour glass began to spin…poof. Post-be-gone.

So, there will not be any Eat. Live. Be. For a Better 2011 Monday check-in, or BlogHerFood ’11 recap.  With all that is going on at home and at work, there isn’t a whole lot of extra time to rewrite the details that just vanished into thin air.

I will say that the weekend included lovely days of fun, food, and forums with amazingly talented people. Reconnecting and meeting everyone was worth more than any the registration fee. Priceless, in fact.  Posts down the road will include specific and poignant moments and people who made an impact.  But, until then…here’s some soup.

This soup called to me as I came across it one afternoon.  It’s a sneaky soup, actually…a double agent with its versatility and ability to be an appetizer or a dessert. What’s better?  It is fast, easy, and easily adaptable.

The predominant flavor is the blueberry, in case you couldn’t tell by the dark color.  Ha!  The cardamom also adds a wonderful hint of “something” as it travels over your taste buds.  I added a swirl of sour cream here.  Creme fraiche, cream, or yogurt would work, as well. Not a fan of the added garnishes?  No worries; the soup is delicious on its own.

Blueberry Mango Soup

An adapted Marcus Samuelsson recipe

3 cups fresh blueberries*
1/3 cup Sugar
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
½ tsp. ground cardamom
¾ cup mango purée
2 Tbsp. honey

In a saucepan, combine blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, and cardamom. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.  Cook and stir until sugar dissolves, about 7 minutes.

Allow the blueberry mixture to cool, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a blender container, add honey and purée. Strain mixture through a fine sieve or strainer. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in mango purée. Cover and chill completely.

Ladle soup into shallow soup bowls or dessert dishes.

Yields about 3 cups
* Frozen blueberries can also be used

Miel et Lait May 23, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Interesting combo… I love blueberries (rich in antioxidents!) but mango & I don’t get along so well. The taste is just a wee bit too much of something for me.

Chris May 23, 2011 at 7:30 AM

I know a lot of people who have similar thoughts, Melissa! The blueberry is the predominant flavor hear. The cardamom also adds a nice “something”. :)

Maris (In Good Taste) May 23, 2011 at 6:50 AM

I love blueberries and mango and soup so this is a winner for me!

Chris May 23, 2011 at 7:31 AM

They are two of my favorite fruits, too, Maris! And, Blackberries…

RJ Flamingo May 23, 2011 at 6:56 AM

My two favorite fruits, combined! What was it that you swirled in there? Sour cream? Creme fraiche? Whipped cream?

And to those who say they don’t like mangos: With over 300 varieties in the world, you just haven’t met your mango. My husband was a confirmed mango-hater, until he tasted the Nam Doc Mai, a Thai mango. Yours is out there, waiting to be discovered!

Chris May 23, 2011 at 7:32 AM

Thanks for asking RJ! I need to go add that in the post. I think I originally had the info, but then it vanished and I became frustrated. LOL Is is sour cream. But, all three would work!

Kate May 23, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I kinda love the idea of soup for dessert, maybe with some fresh whipped cream or mascarpone.

Sarah Caron May 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM

:( That stinks about your post! I hate when something is all done … and then it isn’t. But the soup looks and sounds great. I am a huge, huge fan of chilled soups. Can’t wait to give this a try.

brandi May 24, 2011 at 11:31 AM

this sounds so incredibly light and delicious.

so great to meet you at BHFood! :)

Marge Perry May 24, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I have always LOVED the combination of blueberry and cardamom.

Chris May 25, 2011 at 7:31 AM

Thanks Kate. I thought that, too. And, I love your idea of mascarpone! That’s a fantastic addition.

Sarah, technology….can’t live with it, can’t live without LOL

Thanks Brandi! It was great meeting and chatting with you at BHF’11 as well. Can’t wait until next time!

Thanks for stopping by, Marge!! I love all things cardamom. It adds a wonderful je ne sais quoi. :) Can’t wait until we hang out again!

Bren June 3, 2011 at 5:45 PM

oh i just love it. have some mangoes left but i’d have to get some blueberries. what a perfect soup for this ridiculous weather which i’m so hating. and interesting how you came across his recipe. i’ve heard mixed reviews of his resto Harlem…