Avocado Sorbet

Post image for Avocado Sorbet

by Chris on April 5, 2011

ossessionato/obssessed

Obsessed.  I think I am obsessed.  Since I brought home my ice cream machine last year, I have made more ice cream than I think I have even consumed in the last decade. I am not really sure where the obsession comes from because I am actually not a fan of ice cream.  The cream…can’t do it. But, man…it is so much fun to make.

Some of the cold, creamy goodness created (and posted) since the Cuisinart taken residence in my kitchen have included black truffle ice cream, red wine ice cream, peach ice creamcherry basil frozen yogurt, pink champagne sherbet,  and tomato basil sorbet. Yeah…really?  That’s a lot for one girl. Even though “they” say admitting the dependence is the first step to recovery, I don’t see my addiction going away any time soon, especially with the ice cream post in the wings and the machine churning another recipe as this post is being written.  So, keep your eyes peeled!

I saw this avocado ice cream on the Eating Well site.  The recipe notes that Rick Bayless has served [this] in his restaurant Frontera Grill for years. How could it not be delicious? Plus, it includes tequila.  Party on, people!  My version is the same, with the exception of a few ingredient amounts I changed slightly.  And, since this is dairy-free and made with sweetened water, fruit juice or puree, liqueur, I am calling it sorbet so it wouldn’t be deceiving.

Out of all the frozen desserts I have made over the last year, this may be my favorite.  I have a tendency to share what I make with others.  Not this one.  I have been enjoying this batch all…by…myself.  (and gettin’ a little tipsy, too!)

*Avocado Tip* Confused on when an avocado is ripe and ready to eat?  Most avocados in the stores are not ripe and need 3-5 days to get there.  After keeping your avocados at room temperature, use your the tip of your finger to pop out the stem nub at the top of the avocado.  If it comes out easy, the avocado is ready to eat.

kellypea April 5, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Not only is it a beautiful color, it sounds wonderful. I think I’m with you on the whole making it but not particularly interested in eating food in general these days, so ice cream fits into that category. You certainly make much more creative flavors than I do. Tasty!

Melissa Crane April 5, 2011 at 11:22 AM

That looks perfect to serve on a warm summer evening, seem like it would go well with a nice frozen glass of margarita! I am fighting the urge to run out and buy an ice cream maker now.

Paula - bell'alimento April 5, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I’m breaking out my ice cream maker this weekend…swoon!

Kate April 5, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Sometimes sorbet can get icy, but this looks as creamy as ice cream!

Liz April 5, 2011 at 7:10 PM

I love avocado, and I love ice creams/sorbets. But when I saw this post, I was thinking “what in the world??”. Now that I know about the lime juice and the tequila though, I might have been won over!! Yum! Unfortunately, I do not have an ice cream maker because I am afraid I would do exactly what you said you’ve done, which is make a lot of ice cream. And since I am already a big ice cream fan, I think that could turn into a problem :)

saltyseattle April 6, 2011 at 2:23 AM

i share your obsession. that particular shade is so incredibly covetable i can’t even imagine how good it is. This week i’ve got golden beet and peanut butter banana bacon brewing. I, too, have never been a big ice cream fan. go figure.

Mele Cotte April 6, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Thanks Kelly! What flavors have you been making?

Melissa, You’re so right! This sorbet with margarita would be an intoxicating
combination (no pun intended). Wait…I have some mix in my ‘fridge right now… 😉

Paula, I can’t wait to see what you churn; something Nutella-y no doubt!

Kate, I know what you mean. This didn’t get icy until the last few days days when the container got low and the freezer was too cold. I am thinking the alcohol might have had something to do with it.

Liz, it does sound weird. But its super creamy! And, I bet it would work without a maker…just mix and freeze! The consistency may be a little different, but I am sure it would still be really tasty.

Salty – Golden beet and peanut butter banana bacon? I can’t wait to hear about it!

Mike April 6, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Beautiful Avocado green color and a delicious tasty treat. Made some for the kids with out the tequila. They loved it! Going to make more this weekend for the adult friends.
————-
Thanks and Regards
Mike

Mele Cotte April 6, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Yeah! I am so glad the kids loved it, Mike! Can’t wait to hear about the adult version. Thanks for letting me know.

lo April 6, 2011 at 10:52 PM

I think that a homemade ice cream addition is perfectly natural — and delicious. Even the color of this ice cream has me thinking spring. Looks perfect.

Mele Cotte April 6, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Thanks lo! Happy Spring! :)

DessertForTwo April 7, 2011 at 12:16 AM

How beautiful! I can’t wait to make this! I think I’ll serve it at my first spring picnic. Thanks for sharing :)

Mele Cotte April 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Thanks! It would be great for an picnic! :)

SalsaLady April 7, 2011 at 7:34 AM

I have tried and really enjoyed avocado ice cream. I never thought about it as a sorbet. Your photo is lovely, I just want to grab a spoon and take a bite, the picture is so inviting!

Mele Cotte April 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Thanks so much, Salsa Lady! Even without the milk, this is still creamy and silky. :)

Jennifer July 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Greetings from Montreal! Just a note to say thank you for this recipe! I’ve made it several times now (preparing to make it again today for a midsummer BBQ) and my friends always go wild for it.