Heat Miser Chocolate Cupcakes

Post image for Heat Miser Chocolate Cupcakes

by Chris on December 8, 2010

gran caldo/heat wave

It’s that time of year. All the best holiday shows are on in the evening. Although I am not into holidays, I am into three very important shows: Rudolph Red the Red Nosed Reindeer (Love the bumble!), Rudolph’s Shiny New Year (love 1 Million B.C), and… The Year without a Santa Claus. Who doesn’t giggle with excitement when those crazy, ogreish step brothers, Heat Miser and Snow Miser come across your television screen? C’mon…admit it. The minute you saw the title of this post, you began to sing…

I’m Mister Green Christmas I’m Mister Sun I’m Mister Heat Blister I’m Mister Hundred and One They call me Heat Miser, Whatever I touch Starts to melt in my clutch I’m too much!

Yup…I thought so. If it makes you feel better, I have been singing the song since I made these cupcakes on Sunday.

Since I used Scharffen Berger in these cupcakes, and I mixed a little savory in a sweet again, I thought I would include them in this week’s holiday recipe exchange and try my hand at winning the chocolaty prize.

** Please head over to Katie’s and vote for #2….
I would love some more Scharffen Berger! Thank you!! **

Before you check out the recipe….allow me to reintroduce you to the holiday season’s hotty.

Enjoy!

¾ cup warm water
¾ cup buttermilk
3 Tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Vanilla Buttercream
Sprinkle or Decorating Sugar

Preheat oven to 350° F. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside. Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.

Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.

*You may want to adjust the chili sugar amount…this was spicy!

{ 15 comments }

Ann B December 8, 2010 at 2:07 AM

I participate in Eatwell’s CSA program – they are good people. It’s nice to see their products being used in a recipe. Have you tried their lavender salt … ?

Mele Cotte December 8, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Ann, I am jealous! I purchased their sugar and heirloom tomato salt during the BlogHer trip to San Fran. I have not tried the lavender salt. Would love to! This recipe used up a lot of the sugar, so I need to see about ordering more. :)

Barbara @ Vino Luci Style December 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM

I simply love the look of these cupcakes; a bit naughty and that is what that bit of chili spice will do! Beautiful.

Mele Cotte December 8, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Thanks Barbara! Naughty and Nice…that’s how I roll….HA!!! :)

Denise Michaels @ Adventurous Foodie December 8, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Everyone has their favorites around the holidays. Mine is the special with “Frosty the Snowman.” Y’know the one where the announcer slides down a snowy hill on a Remington shaver? Oh yeah, the Remington company was sold a year or two ago. *smile* Also love, “Miracle on 34th Street.”

As for chocolate with chili – two years ago my husband and I went to Cancun on vacation. We took a day to go to the ruins at Chichen Itza where records of hot goblets of chocolate combined with chilis go back to the times before Christ. And the Mexican classic savory mole sauce (pronounced “mo-lay) is based on chocolate and chilis and a lot of other ingredients.

I like the combination. A cool variation on it I recently discovered is chocolate with crystallized ginger. The ginger has heat but it’s also a bright flavor. I’m thinking about making a flourless chocolate torte this Christmas with finely chopped crystallized ginger in it.

Mele Cotte December 9, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Frosty is a good one, Denise! flourless chocolate torte w/ginger sounds so decadent Look forward to hearing about it!

Barbara Bakes December 9, 2010 at 1:21 AM

My favorite has always been The Charlie Brown Christmas. Don’t remember the Heat Miser. But these cupcakes definitely look memorable.

Mele Cotte December 9, 2010 at 10:02 PM

How can you not love Charlie! :) Thanks Barbara!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso December 10, 2010 at 1:54 PM

These look *awesome* as does your site — I haven’t been here in far too long! Congratulations :)

Mele Cotte December 10, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Thanks so much, Michelle!

Bren December 12, 2010 at 5:17 PM

voted! thanks for sharing the vid. too cute.

Silvan Davidson December 12, 2010 at 10:04 PM

These look awesome!!! You’re awesome! I think I will make these next weekend :)

Mele Cotte December 13, 2010 at 6:43 AM

Thanks Sil! If you don’t have the chili sugar, you can substitute it with granulated, then add a tsp (or so….according to taste) of chili powder. But, you can also leave it out. :)

Maria @close to home December 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM

My favorite CHristmas Show!! Love the cup cakes
newest follwer from blogher

Come visit and enter my giveaway, $25 grocery gift card!!

Happy holidays, Close to home

Mele Cotte December 21, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Maria, thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the delayed reply. I look forward to checking your blog out as well. The name along is so very inviting! :) If it isn’t too late, I will head over to enter!

Comments on this entry are closed.