Avocado Salsa Verde

Post image for Avocado Salsa Verde

by Chris on September 15, 2010

rinfrescare/cool down

Since mother nature isn’t ready to release the heat and humidity yet, I am not ready to let the foods of summer go, either. So there.

Normally, if I remained indoors all day, I wouldn’t notice the persistent muggy weather.  The weightiness of my lunch wouldn’t matter too, too much either.  But, since my daily routine includes countless trips from one end of a large high school campus to the other (a 7-minute “mall-walk” pace journey at best), my thinking has had to shift. That shift was helped along a bit with the help of one of my our English teachers. Her green thumb, which brought about quite a crop of veggies this summer, handed me several jalapeno peppers!  Perfect for a salsa verde, or some rendition of…

This avocado salsa verde has become a common nosh for me. (Big thanks to Eliza Domestica .) I have found that it works well with an  (insulated) lunch box.  Score!  School lunch!  And, the fact that the salsa prompts my palate to sing when I sit at my desk to eat lunch once the kids have been dismissed for the day is quite a bonus.

Not a big avocado fan? (*gasp!  They’re fabulous) This recipe reminds me of the Pineapple-Cucumber Gazpacho I made back in July. Both recipes create a fresh dish that offers a great pop of the jalepeno.  The lil’ kick is sure to catch one’s attention.  Very cool, I think. Don’t you?

Print This Post

Avocado Salsa Verde

adapted from Eliza Domestica

12 oz. can tomatillos, cut into quarters
small bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed
(about) 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 shallots, roughly chopped
1 fresh jalapeno, de-stemmed and seeds removed
2 ripe avocados, chopped in small chunks
½ teaspoon sea salt

Using a food processor, toss in tomatillos, shallots, jalapeno, salt, lime juice, cilantro, and 1/2 the avocado. Pulse until preferred consistency. Pour salsa into a medium mixing bowl and stir in remaining chopped avocado. Store in a airtight container, in the refrigerator.

{ 9 comments }

pam September 15, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Wow, this is a new one for me and it sounds fantastic!

Mele Cotte September 15, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Thanks Pam! It is pretty fantastic. Eliza (where I got it from) has a great recipe, here.

Eliana September 15, 2010 at 3:48 PM

You combined two of my favorite things here – tomatillos and avocados. This looks delicious. Wish I had it in front of me with a big bowl of chips.

Mele Cotte September 15, 2010 at 9:51 PM

No chips necessary for me, Eliana….spoon only! lol

tami September 15, 2010 at 9:42 PM

This looks amazing. Trader Joe’s sells a version of this in their cold section that is pretty killer…but homemade is infinitely better. Can’t wait to see you soon <3

Mele Cotte September 15, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Thanks Tami! I actually saw TJs version when I stopped in the other day! Need to try it!…fast and easy option. See you in a few days!

Tamara September 15, 2010 at 10:07 PM

I have recently acquired a taste for salsa verde and I really like avocado so this recipe sounds like a win-win in my book!

christine September 16, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Hi. I followed your old blog thru Foodista and lead me to your old site, then I followed you here to your new place. The site looks good and the food are more interesting. My friend’s and I have this get-together event every other Sunday and I think I’ll be serving this Avocado Salsa next time. My friends will love this. By the way, still interested in using Foodista Widget? If yes, just place it at the end of this post. Click Here to use this widget for this certain topic and just browse foodista for another widget for your next post. Thanks.

Bren September 20, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Making this this week. I could bathe in avocados… so darn delish. And a great fat, too! And great for hair also! lol

Comments on this entry are closed.