Red Wine Ice Cream

Post image for Red Wine Ice Cream

by Chris on July 26, 2010

vino rosso/red wine

Nothing defines “relaxing” better than a leisurely dinner on the patio, at home or at a restaurant, with good friends, candles flickering, and muted sounds of patron conversations , the laughter of a funny something that has been said, and a delicious glass of wine. Atlanta is great for this kind of evening, especially since the foodie world has exploded.  The amazing eateries tempt passers-by with culinary brilliance, and evenings like the ones described above are always welcomed and can’t get much better.  Or, can it?

What if that delicious glass of wine was incorporated at the conclusion of the meal in a different way.  How?  Ice Cream.  Red wine ice cream.  Yup, I said it.  And, not only did I say it, I made it.

A few months back, while at the restaurant, two of the three desserts I made included ice cream.  The Salted Caramel Ice Cream went with the flourless chocolate cake and the Donut Ice Cream (similar to this ice cream, but make a little differently and with Sublime Donuts) went with the affogato (ice cream served with a shot of espresso). Since recipe testing began for the dinner service, I became very interested in marrying different flavors with ice cream’s custard base, especially after tasting how fabulous thyme went with the Buttermilk Thyme Ice Cream.

There were several desserts suggestions I shared when during dessert menu discussions thoughout my time there, like the the frozen sangria, and this red wine ice cream.  Unfortunately, since the sous chef felt my position was not necessary, wanting to be over desserts as well as the line, any suggestion I put forth was ignored and then brushed off by the Executive Chef.  Their loss, our gain!

When all was said and done with this ice cream and it was ready for consumption, I thought it was creamy and delicious.  But, that was me.  Maybe I just really wanted it to be creamy and delicious.  Then Bren came over to help me with a project I am putting together. I presented a bowl to her and another friend hanging out.

a great shot Bren took with her new IPhone

Bren was so sweet and openly expressed her excitement.  In fact, she called her dad who is a wine lover.  “Papi, your adoptive daughter Christina just made the most amazing, get this, red (pause) wine (pause) ice cream. Papi, it was off the chain!  I am getting you an ice cream maker so you can make some. ” Fun!  and….Score!   As if her enjoying the ice cream wasn’t sweet enough, then calling her dad, she also added, “I think this may nudge out the Chocolate Decadence as my favorite.”  Whoa!  That’s big!

So here it is my wine connoisseur/enthusiasts and ice cream fanatics. My version of  Food and Wine‘s recipe! If you try it, let me know how you like it!

Print This Post

Red Wine Ice Cream

adapted from Food and Wine

6 large egg yolks
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
½ cup sugar
½ tsp. vanilla
¾ cup Cabernet*

In a heatproof bowl, mix the egg yolks. In a saucepan, combine the cream, milk and sugar and bring to a simmer over moderate heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar and vanilla, about 4 minutes. Gradually whisk the hot cream into the eggs yolks; return the mixture to the saucepan. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes; do not let the custard boil or it will curdle.

Strain the custard into a bowl. Stir in the red wine. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 1 hour. Freeze in an ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Cover and store in the freezer until serving time.

*The original recipe called for a sweet red wine, such as Moscato Rosa, Sagrantino Passito or Recioto di Valpolicellaused. Cabernet was all that was in the house, which is closer to a full-bodied flavor profile than others, and supports fruity characteristics.

Note: When I added the wine to the custard, the mixture turned into a gray-ish, muddy-like color. First thing that same to mind was to add beet juice for color, but I didn’t have any.  So, I used a few drops of red gel coloring.

Phyl July 26, 2010 at 12:13 AM

This looks amazing! I’m going to have to clear out some room in the freezer for my KA ice cream bowl so I can try it.

Thanks for the recipe!

Bren July 26, 2010 at 12:15 AM

girlfriend, “not for anything,” but that darn ice cream was sexalicious!! My goodness, my afternoon could.not.have.been.better. I want an entire gallon of that stuff, please! I”ll provide the wine! You know I bear little patience to bake and make desserts (even though, yes, I know ice cream is easy and I’ve made it, and of course flan is my all time fave to make); but having someone else make it and dish out a bowl like that is just.too.fabulous.

Thanks for sharing with us… and no joke about a gallon! How much wine do I need to give you!?!!

PS: we all know that chef has an EGO that even his head can’t hold!

Bren July 26, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Oh, I am good for obtaining gallons of ice cream. The local sushi restaurant we’ve yet to go to, ordered me a gallon of green tea ice cream, direct from Japan. $15. lasted me about 3 months… So, yeah, I’m serious! I’ll take some to mami y papi!

Rhys July 26, 2010 at 12:06 PM

OK between the vino rouge and green tea I am THROUGH! I just got finished asking my local hibachi for some bulk green tea! I’m gonna need a bigger freezer! LOL

Sarka July 26, 2010 at 6:34 AM

Wow, I’ve never heard about red wine ice cream! That combines all my favourite things – red wine and ice cream, what a fantastic combo! I’ll definitely give it a try!

Jessica @ How Sweet July 26, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Oh my gosh I have never heard of such a thing! It sounds aboslutely fabulous.

tiffany (food finery) July 26, 2010 at 10:39 AM

chris! this looks amazing! it’s officially on my “to make” list! we wemt to the park city food and wine classic a few weeks ago and tasted a bunch of wine ice creams… they were to die for.

Eliana July 26, 2010 at 12:56 PM

WOW – you’re getting mr really excited over this ice cream. I looks and sounds incredible. I’d love to end every meal with a scoop of it.

Chris July 26, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Thanks everyone! This was done dessert that I am really, truly excited about. While I excited about a lot of the things I make, this inspired me! ;) Hope you do try it! Let me know if you do.

Priscilla - She's Cookin' July 26, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Umm, sounds like the perfect food group! I’ve gotta get an ice cream maker – can’t believe I don’t have one!

Mele Cotte July 28, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Thanks Priscilla! I just got the ice cream maker this weekend- so I was like you! Williams Sonoma had an unbelievable sale!

Paula - bell'alimento August 4, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Genius. Pure Genius. I MUST try this xoxo

Mele Cotte August 4, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Thanks honey! Can’t wait until you try it…

Augusta July 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I came across this recipe and was a little scared to try it because no one commented on how it came out. Silly me! This recipe is to DIE for!!! Topped with sliced strawberries…yummy!!!

Sarah December 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM

This was amazing! used peach champagne instead of red wine though, added a couple dashes of cinnamon and diced peaches. Came out great! Thanks for the recipe!

barbstefano September 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I’m definitely trying this one. I notice you’ve upped the wine to 3/4 cup from the 1/2 cup suggested in the Food & Wine recipe. Did you find that this had any negative effect on the texture?

Chris September 25, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Thanks for checking! Upping by 1/4 cup didn’t mess with the overall texture.

janene March 12, 2014 at 9:50 PM

I can’t do sugar, so i am wondering how this would be with splenda or such…. Looks lovely!