Honey Ginger Crème Brûlée

Post image for Honey Ginger Crème Brûlée

by Chris on July 13, 2010

cremoso/creamy

While I make them….all the time….I don’t eat desserts as much as it might appear.  Candy eater, yes.  Dessert eater, not so much.  However, Creme Brulee?  Yes, please!

The history of custard is long and debated. Whether it was the French, Spanish or British who invented the smooth custard deliciousness topped with caramelized sugar,  I am all about it. Lots of desserts have been/will be created in the Mele Cotte kitchen this week, as I am involved with a little project I cannot reveal yet.  But, I can give you a peak into one of the goodies.  Can you guess?

You are correct…Crème Brûlée.  I have made it several times before, but only blogged about it once on here with a Kona Coffee Crème Brulée.  Then, I gave my torch and a ton of other baking stuff to Maria before I left Utah and never replaced the torch until this week.

Print This Post

Honey Ginger Crème Brûlée

2 cups whipping cream
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons Sage Honey (From Week’s Honey Farm*)
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
5 large egg yolks
12 teaspoons sugar

Preheat oven to 325°F. Place six ¾-cup ramekins in 9X13 pan. Mix cream, sugar, ginger, and honey in heavy medium saucepan. Add paste to saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar and honey dissolves and mixture comes to simmer. Cover pan, reduce heat to very low and simmer gently 10 minutes to infuse flavors. Strain into large measuring cup.

Whisk yolks in medium bowl until well blended. Temper eggs.  Then, gradually whisk in hot cream mixture just to blend. Return custard to measuring cup; divide among ramekins. Pour enough hot water into pans to come halfway up sides of dishes. Carefully transfer pans to oven.

Bake custards until almost set in center when pans are gently shaken, about 35 minutes. Using metal spatula or sturdy tongs, transfer custards in dishes to a heat resistant work surface; cool 30 minutes. Chill at least 3 hours and up to 2-3 days.

When ready to serve, sprinkle 2 teaspoons sugar evenly over each custard. Working with 1 custard at a time, hold blow torch so that flame is 2 inches above surface. Direct flame so that sugar melts and browns, about 2 minutes. Refrigerate until custards are firm again but topping is still brittle, at least 2 hours but no longer than 4 hours so that topping doesn’t soften.

* I made this recipe in different dishes, 2 oz and ¾-cup ramekins and Asian soup spoons.  Be sure to adjust the time accordingly.

Cookin' Canuck July 13, 2010 at 4:18 AM

How I love using my kitchen torch! This looks like a great reason to pull it out again.

tiffany (food finery) July 13, 2010 at 4:32 AM

woot-woot! i just made classic, honey, chocolate w/godiva liquor and vanilla w/chambord brulee tonight :) beautiful photo!

Barbara Bakes July 13, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Now I really need to make some. It looks fabulous. I especially love the Asian soup spoon ones, a great sugar crust to pudding ratio I would think.

Maria July 13, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Love the honey ginger flavor! Fabulous dessert!

lo July 13, 2010 at 5:15 PM

This is precisely the sort of creme brulee that would make me seek out a new torch. Love the ginger-honey combo … and that beautiful crackling candy-coated crust. Would go perfect with a slice or two of summer peach.

Sunita July 13, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Love the flavours in your creme brulee, and love the idea of using the spoon.

Bren July 13, 2010 at 7:54 PM

i’m not a huge creme brulee fan, but i <3 me some ginger and honey! i can bathe in both!good lawd this is just too good. like the spoon, too! and stop giving goodies away– you need them ALL!

Eliana July 15, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Hmmmm – this creme brulee looks to creamy, lucious and delicious.

Keith July 15, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Love the honey ginger idea!

Mele Cotte July 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Dara – gotta love reasons to torch things…LOL Something about that flame.
Tiffany – godiva liquor and vanilla w/chambord? Seriously? That’s it….moving back to UT
Thanks Barbara! I loved the spoon ideas when I saw it. A (Very) thin sugar crust makes it perfect to eat
Thanks maria! I like the combo too!
Lo – I agree! I wanted to add “something” to the spoon but ran out of
time. ginger-honey is delish!
Thanks Sunita! Haalo started something with the spoon thing for me! ;) Brain is swirling.
Bren – now you can take the flavs and make me a ginger-honey flan! ;)
Eliana and Keith – thanks so much!! Key is the fresh ginger, I think…fresh – always good!

The Teacher Cooks July 20, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I love the custard part of the Creme Brulee but not the crunchy candy topping. I know weird. Yours looks delicious.