Blueberry Cupcakes

Post image for Blueberry Cupcakes

by Chris on July 8, 2010

mirtilli/blueberries

What’s better than a moist delicious cupcake?  A moist delicious BLUEBERRY cupcake!

I have been playing with a recipes over the last several weeks, trying to achieve a balance of flavors, texture, and overall yumminess. Oh…the process, the process that resulted in many belly bombs, gummies and gooey, and too wet/too dry cuppies.  So, among the miscellaneous samples I prepared, I am thrilled to have finalized this recipe.

Now, I also put puree in 1/2 the butter cream, and it was delicious.  But, it was too purple.  So, I just tinted some vanilla butter cream here and topped it with a yogurt colored blueberry. I will work on the icing … but another time.

For now, I leave you with some of these samples

This 12-inch 2D gum paste Elmo that never found his way onto a cake

And the recipe for the cupcakes…

I am heading to NYC (again) for my mother’s 75th birthday party! I could only celebrate with her virtually on her actual day, but this weekend is the big shindig. So, I am off for another drive up to the city.  I may or may not post again this week; I can’t be sure. Until next time, my friends!  :)

Print This Post

Blueberry Cupcakes

½ cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 ¾ cup pastry flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
¾ cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla
½ cup blueberry puree (recipe below)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line 12-18 cupcake pans with paper liners (or 24+ minis).

Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl; set aside.

With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, being sure to scrape side of bowl with a spatula after each addition. Add vanilla.  Add flour mixture, alternating with milk. Beat on medium speed to create a cake-like batter . Stir in puree until incorporated and the batter turns blue. Using an ice cream scoop, add into paper liners until ½ to 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (10-12 min for minis). Cool 5 minutes in pans then remove and place on wire racks to cool completely. Once cupcakes are completely cooled, decorate accordingly.

Blueberry Puree
2 cups fresh blueberries (or frozen blueberries, thawed)
¼ cup sugar
1 Tbsp. cornstarch

To prepare filling, all the puree ingredients in a food processor, and process until smooth. Place puree in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 6 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Cool slightly for a warm sauce, completely before adding to a batter. Store in the refrigerator. (You will have more than you need for the cupcake batter.)

{ 31 comments }

The Teacher Cooks July 8, 2010 at 1:09 PM

The photos are absolutely some of the best that you have done! Beautiful!!!!! And the cupcakes sound delicious. They are good for you, too? Right all the blueberries cancel out the sugar?

lo July 8, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Ha! That little Elmo guy totally made me smile… of course, the gorgeous blueberry cupcakes did too. They look scrumptious. And I have to agree — those photos are phenomenal. Looking forward to your continued adventures in blueberry frosting!!

Krista July 9, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Great photos!! I never thought of making blueberry cupcakes! I like the color of the icing you chose. :-) It’s bright and fresh and not too blue. :-)

angie July 9, 2010 at 7:55 PM

beautiful and I bet quite tasty as well

Anh July 10, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Yum! I love blue color food. They just look so cute!

Eliana July 12, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Hmmm – these treats look picture perfect.

Lynnette July 14, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Great photo’s and very yummy looking cuppies!

Ravenous Rowie December 6, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Beautiful cupcakes! Love the color! Lisa really captured them well in her painting too!

Mele Cotte December 7, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Thanks Ravenous Rowie! Lisa did do a beautiful job. :)

Kathy G. December 7, 2010 at 4:43 PM

LOVE the Photos! LOVE your charming decorations, etc., but, SERIOUSLY? You actually use a FOOD PROCESSOR to combine the blueberries and the cornstarch? You must LOVE washing dishes (or running your dishwasher). Wouldn’t a PASTRY BLENDER (the non-electric version) work just as well? I’m sure gonna try it; and, then, I’m gonna TREAT myself to the Bluest Berry Cupcakes EVER!! Thanks for posting; and, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your Mother! Mazel Tov.

Mele Cotte December 7, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Thanks Kathy! True, you don’t have to use a food processor. You can do it by hand, with the blender, or immersion blender. I wanted to make sure the skins were pulverized. :) Can’t wait to find out how you like them!

Victoria May 7, 2011 at 2:43 AM

I’d like to make these for my son’s birthday who is turning one. Hoeweve, he is allergic to milk and soy. Do you think they would be just as good if I sub rice milk and non dairy-soy free butter instead?

Mele Cotte May 7, 2011 at 7:41 AM

Victoria, I would love to be able to tell you, without a doubt, if the soy products will work. Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with them. I have used almond milk in baking products before. I believe the soy milk would do fine. The butter? I can say. Let me know if you try it. Then, I can make a cook’s note for others to know about the substitution. :)

victoria May 7, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Thanks so much Mele. I will for sure let you know how they turn out. I will be substituting rice milk and Earths Balance dairy free soy free butter (spread). I’m afraid the almond milk may be too nutty for these delightful little cupcakes. I also have a light and fluffy milk and soy free whipped frosting recipe that will hopefully be perfect for these! Can’t wait to get baking! Mind you, I bake nothing that doesn’t already come in a box. Haha. I cook. I don’t bake. This will be only the 2nd batch of cupcakes I’ll be making from scratch. Here goes nothin….. :)

V-

Victoria May 25, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I made these for my little man’s birthday, and with the substitutions they turned out rather amazing. He loved them!!! I was impressed and pretty proud of myself for pulling of a no box cake especially since I was changing the ingredients. :) I used non dairy soy free buttery spread (Earth Balance) in place of butter and Rice Milk (Rice Dream) instead of whole milk. They also freeze very well!

Thanks again!
Victoria

Chris May 25, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Yeah! Victoria, that makes me so happy that the cupcakes worked out for you. And, with substitutions! That is great information. Thank you!

Candy June 9, 2011 at 7:26 AM

Hi, I wanted to try this recipe this evening and was just wondering if you can clarify, in the ingredients list you mention
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
but in the method you just say to add the baking powder.
Do I just use one or the other or do I need both?
I don’t bake much (can you tell!?) and I want to get this right.

Thanks for your time and for sharing this recipe
Candy

Candyajoyce(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk

Janie July 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Which tip did you use to frost the cupcake? It makes the cupcake look absolutely perfect!

Chris July 21, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Thank you Janie! I used a Thermohauser 13MM Star Tip for these cupcakes.

Kathy Ashdown July 22, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I’m with Candy. The recipe is confusing. First it says to whisk together the flour, SUGAR, baking powder, baking soda & salt. I did this then had to throw it out because the sugar is supposed to be creamed with the butter. Also, for the puree, the list of ingredients says 2 cups of blueberries but the directions say 2 1/2 cups. And this made a LOT of batter – it made 24 regular cupcakes filling the cups 1/2. If I do it again, I will make a dozen and a half and fill them more full – 2/3. You might want to correct these things as a novice baker will end up with a mess. Mine are in the oven but I know they will be delicious!

Chris July 22, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Thanks for comment Kathy! Yikes! I hate that you had to through out the flour mixture because of my error. I went through and corrected my typos.

Sandra August 20, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Just a quick comment…what do you do with the sugar in the filling? It is never mentioned in the directions. I am assuming that you put it in the saucepan and combine it over the heat with the puree of the blueberries and corn starch. Am I correct?

Also, what flavor icing do you recommend?

Chris August 20, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Sandra,

I am not sure where my head was when I wrote this post….My apologies about all the missing pieces! Add the sugar to the puree in the food processor before cooking. :)

I used vanilla buttercream.

Sandra August 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Not sure what I did wrong. Mine did not come out a pretty blue. They are more of a greenish brown. Guess I will have to try again.

Samantha September 3, 2012 at 5:57 AM

These cupcakes look amazing!
I’ve attempted this recipe twice, and for some reason they keep coming out with a cornbread-like texture. I have no idea where I’m going wrong with these!
My second batch came out greenish brown, but I think I put too much purée in the batter and that is the cause.
I can make some of the most complicated desserts, but it seems cupcakes just aren’t my forte! :)

Chris September 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I am so sorry you’re having difficulty with these! I have made them a few times, When I have some time, I will remake them again to try to troubleshoot. Wonder what it is!?

Brittany December 16, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Do you have the recipe for the icing you can give us?

Fizzy Party January 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Thank you for posting this recipe. The cupcakes look delicious. Cooked blueberries is the only way I’ll eat them so I better make me some of these so I can get my blueberry on :)

Amy S. January 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I’m curious about the blueberries. Can I use store purchased blueberries, or do you think it would make a difference not being fresh frozen?? My daughter (3) has “requested” a blueberry princess cake for her birthday in March. I like to test out recipes before the final, so I wanted to check. Thanks!

Andrina June 30, 2013 at 1:00 AM

I can’t seem to find the blueberry frosting recipe. I’m so excited to try it for my son’s first birthday. Thanks!

Stefani September 29, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Do you know what kind of icing tip you used for these? I keep seeing this style and have tried every tip I can find. I can’t for the life of me, figure it out. So pretty!

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 2 trackbacks }